WHAT I WISH I KNEW BEFORE BECOMING A PARENT: THE TRUTH ABOUT LOVE, EXHAUSTION, SACRIFICE, AND THE LIFE-CHANGING JOURNEY OF RAISING A CHILD


INTRODUCTION: THE LESSONS PARENTHOOD TEACHES AFTER THE BABY ARRIVES

Before becoming a parent, many people imagine they understand what parenting means. They expect love, responsibility, sleepless nights, baby cries, feeding routines, and family changes. But parenthood is one of those experiences that can be explained many times and still not be fully understood until it is lived.

The truth is simple: becoming a parent does not only change your schedule. It changes your mind, your body, your relationship, your priorities, your fears, your identity, your spending, your sleep, your emotions, and your understanding of love.

Many parents later look back and say: “I wish I knew this before the baby came.”

This article explores the powerful lessons every expecting parent should know before entering parenthood, including emotional preparation, newborn care, maternal recovery, fatherhood, mental health, family support, home remedies, practical management, and warning signs that should never be ignored.


I WISH I KNEW THAT LOVE CAN FEEL OVERWHELMING

WHEN YOUR HEART SUDDENLY BELONGS TO SOMEONE ELSE

Parenthood introduces a kind of love that can feel beautiful, frightening, and consuming. A baby’s cry can instantly command attention. A baby’s sleep can become your peace. A baby’s discomfort can become your worry.

This love is powerful because the child is completely dependent on you.

But parents should know this: deep love does not mean you must lose yourself completely. A baby needs love, but the parent also needs rest, food, support, and emotional stability.


I WISH I KNEW THAT NEWBORNS ARE MORE DEMANDING THAN THEY LOOK

SMALL BABIES COME WITH BIG RESPONSIBILITIES

Newborns may look peaceful, but their needs are constant. They feed frequently, wake often, cry for many reasons, need warmth, need safe sleep, and depend on adults for everything.

Common Newborn Needs

A newborn needs feeding, burping, diaper changes, safe sleeping, warmth, hygiene, comfort, monitoring, and medical follow-up.

Parents who understand this earlier are less likely to feel shocked when the baby demands attention repeatedly.


I WISH I KNEW THAT SLEEP DEPRIVATION CHANGES EVERYTHING

TIREDNESS CAN AFFECT YOUR MOOD, PATIENCE, AND THINKING

Many parents underestimate the power of broken sleep. It is not just “being tired.” Sleep deprivation can affect concentration, memory, emotional control, patience, and decision-making.

Practical Management

Parents should sleep in shifts where possible, accept help, reduce unnecessary visitors, nap when the baby sleeps, and avoid trying to prove strength by doing everything alone.

Rest is not laziness. Rest is part of safe parenting.


I WISH I KNEW THAT THE MOTHER STILL NEEDS CARE AFTER DELIVERY

CHILDBIRTH DOES NOT END WHEN THE BABY IS BORN

After delivery, many people focus only on the baby. But the mother may be bleeding, healing, breastfeeding, recovering from surgery or tears, experiencing pain, and undergoing hormonal changes.

The Mother Needs

She needs nutritious meals, water, rest, emotional support, wound care, medical follow-up, help with chores, and protection from stressful visitors.

A healthy baby needs a supported mother.


I WISH I KNEW THAT FATHERS ALSO FEEL PRESSURE

MANY MEN ARE SILENTLY AFRAID

First-time fathers may worry about money, protection, mistakes, supporting the mother, and becoming a good father. Many do not speak because they feel they must appear strong.

But fatherhood is not about pretending to know everything. It is about showing up, learning, helping, protecting, and loving consistently.

A present father is more valuable than a perfect father.


I WISH I KNEW THAT CRYING DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN SOMETHING IS WRONG

BABIES CRY BECAUSE CRYING IS COMMUNICATION

A baby may cry because of hunger, tiredness, wet diaper, gas, overstimulation, heat, cold, discomfort, or desire for closeness.

Calm Check Method

Check feeding, diaper, temperature, burping, tiredness, clothing, and signs of illness.

Never shake a baby. When overwhelmed, place the baby safely on the back in the crib, step away briefly, breathe, and return when calmer.


I WISH I KNEW THAT FEEDING CAN BE HARD AT FIRST

BREASTFEEDING AND FORMULA FEEDING BOTH NEED SUPPORT

Many parents assume feeding will be simple. Sometimes it is. Sometimes it is painful, confusing, emotional, and exhausting.

Signs Baby May Be Feeding Well

Wet diapers, swallowing during feeds, alert periods, relaxed body after feeding, and steady weight gain are encouraging signs.

When To Seek Help

Seek help if the baby feeds weakly, has few wet diapers, loses too much weight, vomits repeatedly, or the mother has severe breast pain, fever, or nipple injury.


I WISH I KNEW THAT SAFE SLEEP IS NON-NEGOTIABLE

LOVE MUST FOLLOW SAFETY

Babies should sleep on their backs, on a firm flat surface, without pillows, loose blankets, toys, or soft bedding.

The safest rule is simple:

Alone. Back. Crib.

Room sharing is safer than bed sharing. A baby’s sleep space should be calm, clear, and firm.


I WISH I KNEW THAT VISITORS CAN HELP OR HARM

NOT EVERY VISIT IS SUPPORT

Some visitors bring peace. Others bring stress.

Helpful Visitors

Helpful visitors bring food, wash dishes, keep visits short, hold the baby while the mother rests, respect breastfeeding privacy, and avoid criticism.

Unhelpful Visitors

Unhelpful visitors stay too long, demand attention, criticize the mother, offer unsafe advice, or create more work.

A newborn home should be a recovery space, not a social event center.


I WISH I KNEW THAT PARENTING CAN AFFECT MENTAL HEALTH

EMOTIONAL WELLBEING IS PART OF FAMILY HEALTH

New parents can experience anxiety, sadness, irritability, guilt, fear, and emotional overwhelm. Some emotional changes are temporary, but symptoms that persist or worsen need professional attention.

Warning Signs

Seek support if there is persistent sadness, severe anxiety, hopelessness, emotional numbness, inability to function, or difficulty bonding with the baby.

Mental health care is not shameful. It is healthcare.


I WISH I KNEW THAT COMPARISON STEALS PEACE

YOUR BABY IS NOT SOMEONE ELSE’S BABY

Social media can make parents feel inadequate. Other people may show smiling babies, clean homes, perfect outfits, and peaceful routines. But they rarely show tears, sleepless nights, feeding struggles, and emotional stress.

Every baby is different. Every family is different. Progress matters more than comparison.


I WISH I KNEW THAT MY RELATIONSHIP WOULD CHANGE

A BABY CAN STRETCH EVEN STRONG COUPLES

After a baby arrives, couples may have less time, less sleep, less intimacy, more expenses, and more responsibilities.

What Helps

Communication, appreciation, teamwork, patience, shared duties, and forgiveness help couples survive the newborn season.

The enemy is often exhaustion, not each other.


I WISH I KNEW THAT HOME REMEDIES SHOULD BE SAFE

SIMPLE SUPPORT CAN HELP, BUT DANGEROUS PRACTICES SHOULD BE AVOIDED

Helpful home support includes rest, hydration, nutritious meals, gentle walks, safe bathing, clean cord care, emotional support, and warm family care.

Avoid giving newborns herbs, alcohol mixtures, honey, unprescribed medicines, or unsafe traditional mixtures. A newborn’s body is delicate.

Culture should protect life, not endanger it.


I WISH I KNEW THE DANGER SIGNS EARLIER

WHEN TO SEEK URGENT MEDICAL CARE FOR BABY

Seek urgent care if the baby has fever, poor feeding, difficulty breathing, bluish lips, convulsions, severe jaundice, unusual weakness, repeated vomiting, dehydration signs, or reduced urination.

WHEN TO SEEK URGENT MEDICAL CARE FOR MOTHER

Seek urgent care for heavy bleeding, fainting, fever, severe headache, blurred vision, convulsions, chest pain, breathing difficulty, severe abdominal pain, foul-smelling discharge, swollen painful leg, wound infection, or severe emotional distress.

Delays can be dangerous.


I WISH I KNEW THAT CONFIDENCE COMES SLOWLY

NOBODY BECOMES AN EXPERT ON DAY ONE

At first, everything may feel confusing: feeding, bathing, burping, crying, sleeping, and soothing. But with time, parents learn the baby’s cues.

You begin to know the hungry cry, the tired cry, the uncomfortable cry, and the “I just need you” cry.

Confidence is built through daily care.


CONCLUSION: PARENTHOOD IS HARDER, DEEPER, AND MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN EXPECTED

What many parents wish they knew before becoming parents is that parenthood is not one emotion. It is love and fear. Joy and exhaustion. Confidence and doubt. Sacrifice and growth.

A baby changes life completely, but that change does not mean you are failing. It means you are learning a new kind of love.

The best parent is not the one who knows everything before the baby arrives.

The best parent is the one who keeps learning, keeps asking for help, keeps protecting the child, and keeps caring for themselves enough to remain strong for the family.

Parenthood is not easy.

But with knowledge, support, patience, and love, it becomes one of the most meaningful journeys of life.


ABOUT THE AUTHOR


Dr. Abiazim Chima is a healthcare professional, public health advocate, and founder of MOTHER HEALTHCARE. He is dedicated to maternal health, reproductive wellness, preventive medicine, and evidence-based health education. Through healthcare advocacy and public health communication, he empowers individuals and families with reliable information that supports informed reproductive decisions and healthier communities.

DISCLAIMER

This article is intended for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Parenting experiences, newborn care needs, postpartum recovery, mental health concerns, feeding challenges, and family adjustments vary among individuals and families. Readers should consult qualified healthcare professionals for personalized medical evaluation, diagnosis, treatment, and support. MOTHER HEALTHCARE and the author assume no responsibility for decisions made solely on the basis of this content.

Other Related Articles:

THE GUILT THAT FOLLOWS MANY NEW PARENTS: THE HIDDEN EMOTIONAL BURDEN AFTER BIRTH AND HOW TO HEAL WITH CONFIDENCE, COMPASSION, AND SUPPORT

THE MOMENT YOU REALIZE YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR A HUMAN LIFE: THE DAY PARENTHOOD BECOMES REAL

I THOUGHT HAVING A BABY WOULD BE EASIER: THE HONEST TRUTH ABOUT NEW PARENTHOOD, EXPECTATIONS, EXHAUSTION, AND THE JOURNEY NOBODY FULLY PREPARES YOU FOR

THE SILENT FEARS OF FIRST-TIME FATHERS: THE HIDDEN EMOTIONAL JOURNEY OF MEN ENTERING FATHERHOOD FOR THE FIRST TIME

THE HAPPIEST AND HARDEST DAY OF MY LIFE: THE EXTRAORDINARY EMOTIONAL JOURNEY OF WELCOMING A CHILD INTO THE WORLD


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 MOST DANGEROUS FOODS AND FRUITS TO AVOID DURING PREGNANCY: THE COMPLETE SCIENCE-BACKED GUIDE EVERY EXPECTANT MOTHER MUST READ

HOW TO PREVENT NEWBORN INFECTIONS

GRIEF AND DEPRESSION DURING PREGNANCY: HOW TO PROTECT THE MOTHER’S MENTAL HEALTH, SUPPORT THE BABY, AND FIND A SAFE PATH TOWARD HEALING